Sep 24, 2021

09/24/2021

"Alcohol is an excellent servant,
but a terrible master."
~Christopher Hitchens

Every now and again, make that most
always, I get to thinking about my sins.
My parents used to listen to a minister
who would talk about our 'darling sins.'
Alas, me thinks, drinking may be my
darling sin.

As I enjoy drinking, I have an assortment
of rules in place to keep me out of danger.

   *never drink alone
   *drink only twice or thrice a week
   *no hard alcohol, except occasional marg
   *choose small, low alcohol beers
   *three months off from drinking yearly

I had my first drink when I came back 
to the US at 37. Having had no prior 
experience with drinking, I had to wade
through experimentation. Being both
enthusiastic as well as a slow learner,
there were some embarrassments along
the way.

I have followed the old Mexican rules
of drinking as well. No drinking for two
years whilst grieving the loss of a mother,
one year for a father. I like the respect
indicated in this unwritten custom, most
probably Catholic.

Sooooo, 'craful, craful,' as my brother 
used to say. Let's enjoy carefully! 

Salud!

No comments:

Post a Comment