Apr 12, 2021

04/12/2021 - Mole Saga, Day 3

Me thinks there will always be a bit
of magic in day three of anything. I
completely 'get' that there has to be
prep work in the worthwhile. And,
the prep work for the mole left me in
a state of anticipation barring none.

The ingredients favored by each chef
have to be the secret in the sauce, as
it were. Each of the women brought
and contributed different bits and
pieces of everything . . . from bread 
crumbs to herbs and spices.

By now, there truly was no space in
which to place things. Still, you could
tell that these gals had done plenty of
the same before. Things were moved
closer together and space created. The
different pots of pure chile sauce were
still in the back room.

Then began the discussion of which
ingredients would be used along with
all the whys and wherefores. For 
example, some of the women wanted
to use anise, a licorice flavored seed.
Those not caring for this particular
taste were quite against it. Again, I
could see that this very discussion 
had happened often before. I think 
they settled on using just a very little.

Fresh herbs were placed together next
to one of the blenders and the aunt in
charge got to work. Dry herbs were
in another corner of the room with yet
another blender and another aunt.

One aunt began straining different juices,
liquids and broths. Vegetable broth, beef 
and chicken broth were used to enhance 
flavor in the mole. I found it interesting 
that no bean broth was used. I did ask
about it and was told that the flavor was
too overwhelming.

I stood and watched, mouth agape and
hardly able to take it all in. Clockwork
would have paled in comparison to
these women at work. I wish I could
have seen it all in slow motion. I wish
the entire event could have been filmed
for the duration. I wished and wished . . .

It wasn't long before I was put to work.
I did everything from fetch and go, to
grinding bread crumbs in an age old
molcajete. Huge vats were brought out
and slowly but surely, chile and other
ingredients were mixed with long wooden
spoons.

Then the tasting began, and with the
tasting, bits and pieces were added until
each of the cooks were satisfied. Our
three day prepping and cooking was
over . . . and the eating was just about
to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment