Sep 27, 2018

09/27/18

I had to dress up the other day to go to a party. It got
me thinking about this whole dress thing. I remember as
a child, my mom dressed me in hand-me-down play clothes
and I don't think either of us gave it any particular thought.
When I started school, my aunt, who was a professional
seamstress for the 49ers, made all my clothes. I got the
impression the two sisters rather got a kick out of dressing
me as as if I were a live doll. I suppose puberty and all the
wrath of the gods that entails, brought about an actual
interest in dressing. I just had to have an opinion, a say,
and began paying attention to peers and style. I didn't find
much time in college for anything as unimportant as dress.
But, once I started teaching, slowly but surely, I began to
acquire the wardrobe. I had actual taste and choices. Of
course, money played a part, but I dressed! And did so for
over 40 years. Now that I find myself retired and living in
a 120 year old cabin, I suppose I look like something out
of an L.L. Bean catalogue! But, then came the party . . . I
began surveying the remnants of my teaching wardrobe.
I'm not quite certain what stirred me more, the collection of
clothing or my lack of interest in it. Still, it was somewhat fun
to mix and match and put an outfit together. But, when I got
home, 'twas back to my comfy LL Beanies! Is that called full
circle, or what?!

taking an interest
me dressing up dressing down
all around the town

No comments:

Post a Comment